Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Calavera Nature Preserve

Normal people start the Labor Day Weekend by sleeping in, heading off to the beach, or hitting the 3 day sale at Macy's.....not Todd, Finn and Samson. They decided to climb Mt. Calavera, 513 ft aka: Skull Mountain (Calavera means "skull"). It's not really a mountain, but actually a 22 million year old volcanic plug, one of only three in Southern California, right in the middle of Carlsbad and Oceanside. There are over 4 miles of hiking trails that take you around the lake, up and over the volcanic crater and provide breathtaking views of the surrounding area.


Finn making sure he was hydrated before the hike, walking stick compliments of our front yard landscape. He had a knife attached to his Peruvian belt (mine cut down to fit his much smaller waist), I was a little worried when I saw the knife. What did Todd think they would be encountering, mountain lions...cougars?!?!?! I can't think about it, not even now after their safe return.

UP THEY GO
Finn, backpack, walking stick, knife......
and ever faithful Samson guarding his flank.

Samson and Todd

Wondering who took the photo? Finn took the photo, unbelievable I know....he didn't cut any one's head off and the subject is centered.....I think a career as a National Geographic Photographer may be in his future.

Finn & Indian Cave

Not actually an Indian Cave, a leftover mine shaft from the 1920's when they mined gravel from Mt. Calavera. Finn was absolutely sure it was an authentic Indian Cave. I wasn't going to argue, I will let his imagination run wild. Doesn't he look like a toddler version of Indiana Jones with a slightly modern twist(black shades)?



Is that my 3 year old walking up the trail without any assistance other than his walking stick? Not on Daddy's shoulders and no stroller in sight, astonishing.

Finn giving the thumbs up before scaling the rock wall face. When I saw this photo I about lost it, my 3 year old scaling a rock wall without safety gear?!?!?!?!? What was his father thinking? Todd assures me it was safe....I think he may have been suffering from heat stroke and not thinking correctly.


AT THE TOP

Explorer Todd,
Another image captured by photographer Finn

Heading down the trail toward Lake Calavera
Samson yearning for a swim and wondering where the water fowl he spotted earlier had flown off to. I think his greatest motivation for going up Mt. Calavera was knowing he would get to cool off with a swim on the way back.



Water Relief for both....Boy and Dog
While the male members of my family climbed the mountain, I spent the day with my mother, grandmother and baby Chloe. When I returned home in the evening, I was regaled with photos and stories of their day at the Calavera Nature preserve.
I married and love a man.....
who will plan, prepare and spend a nature day with his son.
My cup runneth over.

2 comments:

Allie said...

this is an awesome post! Finn is so grown up, I just can't believe the it! I wish I were there hiking with him. Go Finn!

Tom and Debbie Goodwin said...

It's only 9:00 a.m. and your sweet family has already managed to ruin my makeup for the day. Happy tears. :)

Hi from Disneyland

Hi from Disneyland
Hi from Disneyland

About Me

Todd Tiffiney Finn Samson Delilah