Monday, June 1, 2009

The Middle Place - Book Recommendation

As good friends will do with similar reading habits, Mary passed on the recommendation of "The Middle Place" by Kelly Corrigan. It was the selected read for her Book Club. I picked up the book Saturday evening around 7pm and finished by late afternoon the next day. It is a biography that reads more like a memoir.

I connected to this book for many different reasons. At first, I was drawn into the story because of the location, the author grew up 1 mile from Villanova University where my brother went to college and met his future wife. Throughout the 272 pages there were many referneces to places I had been to in Villanova with my little brother, as I read about Lancaster Ave, the Main Line, King of Prussia Mall, the Jersey Shore (Avalon) it seemed to bring my brother and his family closer, like they were with me throughout the book.

Another big reason I connected to this book is to the similarity I had with the author, no not with Breast Cancer or coping with a parent who is also surviving cancer......but with her discovery and insight of "The Middle Place", that sliver ot time when childhood and parenthood overlap (quoted from page 15, chapter 2). I am still my parents child, but also a parent of my own child. Sometimes it is so easy to fall back into being Rob and Cher's oldest daughter. It is a safe and loving place to be!! I haven't even begun to think or deal with the fact that they may not always be with me in this lifetime.
Please read this book,
you will be a better person for it!!!

No comments:

Hi from Disneyland

Hi from Disneyland
Hi from Disneyland

About Me

Todd Tiffiney Finn Samson Delilah