Monday, May 4, 2009

VICTORY 50:1


Where were you when, I have heard this phrase many times about many different moments in history, I am sure you have heard the same.

Where were you when JFK was shot?

Where were you when man walked on the moon?

Where were you when the first plane hit the World Trade Center?


And now..............

Where were you when "Mine that Bird" took victory 50:1 at the Kentucky Derby?


Mine That Bird

We were at Grandma Edna's, winding down after Caley's birthday party.......Dad and Todd called us into the Family room to watch the opening at Churchill Downs. We sang along to "My Old Kentucky Home" and then watched as they prepared the horses and riders for the first race of the day. I had Finn on my lap and was explaining how they were setting up the horses to run, run, run once the gates opened!!!! I was excited and nervous at the same time. Almost like watching one of my brothers football games, too scared to watch.

And then..............they're off!!
It doesn't hit me until they reach the last 3/4 turn around the track, I can hear their hoofs thundering on the turf, the excitement roaring to life in the stands. I get goose bumps, my heart starts beating rapidly, I start yelling, cheering them on, Finn following my lead. (Off the record, we were cheering for Flying Private) and then you see 8 pulling forward.........it was truly spectacular. Everything you want to see in a horse race, the under dog coming from the back........RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then to find out, this horse was purchased for $9,500.00 as a yearling.....odds 50 to 1.

To this I say..............

Del Mar Horse Racing Season
July 22nd
"Where the Turf meets the Surf"


Mom you are so going this year!!

1 comment:

GonhesRichardsonClan said...

Lets see when JFK was shot I was in heaven, when man first walked on the moon I was in heaven. Hahaha.. Yes Im a smart one hahaha. Im allowed Im your baby sister :) What would you do with out me :) //dont answer that one :) Love you Tiff

Hi from Disneyland

Hi from Disneyland
Hi from Disneyland

About Me

Todd Tiffiney Finn Samson Delilah