Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding - Thinking of Betty Lou

I remember being in my parents kitchen back in the Summer of 1981 and hearing my mother talking to my grandmother (Betty Lou) on the phone.  When she hung up the phone, she said out loud to no one in particular...."Who would get up at 1 am in the morning to watch a Royal Wedding?"   My grandmother had told her she was going to get up early to watch it (remember, this was before DVR).  

I remember thinking to myself......I would, I would.......I wanted to see Prince Charles marry Diana, it seemed like an impossible wish to a 10 year old, especially since we didn't have a television in our home.  I know what  you are thinking...NO TV?!?!?!? My parents removed it during the late 70's, they didn't bring one back into the home until the mid 80's when the VCR was introduced and my parents had a little bit more control over what we could watch.   

History has repeated itself, 30 years later I set my alarm and watched LIVE as Catherine Elizabeth Middleton entered Westminster Abbey to marry her Prince.  I couldn't help but think of my grandmother, wishing she was watching it with me.  She would have loved it for sure, we could have sipped Champagne and toasted the newlywed's! 

Westminster Abbey
(Did you just love the trees down the aisle?)

 Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

The ceremony was exquisite, from the music, to the vows and the Reverends speech (I want a copy).  It was worth the few hours of sleep I missed and re-newed my love and faith in Marriage.  I am a believer in Marriage..I recently heard that marriage is becoming less popular with younger generations, couples are choosing to forgo the institution of Marriage....I hope this wedding helps bring back the sanctity marriage offers.

This post is for you Grandma Richardson!!! 

1 comment:

The Chavez Family said...

Love your post Tiff! Seeing the wedding brought back past memories of Mark and I in London. We were there! My favorite was West Minister Abbey! It is unreal. There are so many graves in the place of Kings, Queens, Poets, Musicians etc! I'm sure Grandma Richardson would be proud of this post! :-)
Love you!

Hi from Disneyland

Hi from Disneyland
Hi from Disneyland

About Me

Todd Tiffiney Finn Samson Delilah