Monday, April 11, 2011

QUEST FOR FALLEN ANGELS

My niece Kirra has introduced me to many new adventures through the pages of Young Adult books.  Don't let the phrase Young Adult (YA) scare you off, you will miss many marvelous stories if you refrain from this genre of books. 

By accident I found out that one of her favorite authors (Cassandra Clare) was going to be attending the LA Book Lovers Fair on Saturday from 11am to 2pm  open to the public for $5.00.  This was my chance to get her the latest release of the Mortal Instrument series along with a personal inscription from the author just for Kirra.  (I normally would have taken her with me but she was in Bakersfield for the Soccer State Cup).

The BOOKLOVER FAIR was held at the LA Bonaventure Hotel, known for their external glass elevators and revolving top floor lounge.  You may recognize it from a variety of films: Rain Man, True Lies, In the Line of Duty...to name a few.  This was my view from the parking breezeway.

I had no idea it was going to be so crowded!  It was absolute chaos, what in the world did I get myself into, where was that hotel bar?!?!?  If I remember correctly, it was on the 35th floor and revolves 360 degrees.  How badly did I want this book?  Badly!!!

The Author, Cassandra Clare up close and personal.......she was in high demand.  Wrist bands were distributed just for her, you were called up in groups of 10 to keep the chaos controlled. 

Finally, my turn with her.  She signed all my books along with my new purchase of City of Fallen Angels for Kirra.  Another bonus of this signing was an exclusive set of postcards that coincided with the new release.  Kirra was going to ecstatic!!

Cassandra Clare was one of many authors signing and selling books at this event, to name a few....Dean Koontz and Catherine Coulter.  I couldn't resist a photo with Catherine Coulter, she has a FBI mystery series that I just love. 

As I was leaving the Bonaventure via the Breezeway, with tons of books in tow I looked down and believe it or not they were filming a movie!   
Check out the Star Wagons and trailers, I witnessed extras moving about as well as a few scene changes.....was this real?  Only in LA.  All in all, it was a lovely afternoon spent in Los Angeles.......I only wish Kirra could have been with me.  

I conclude this post with news of Kirra and Kayla's recent report cards....they are both straight A student's.   Some of them even A++++++'s!  Gustafson Girl Power to the max!! 

So proud of you both.


No comments:

Hi from Disneyland

Hi from Disneyland
Hi from Disneyland

About Me

Todd Tiffiney Finn Samson Delilah