Tuesday, April 19, 2011

FALLBROOK LIBRARY


I may be the only person you know that spends an entire day visiting the library, a library 30 miles away no less.  Let me explain, for two years I have heard about the revolutionary new library being designed and constructed in Fallbrook, CA.   It was finally finished and I had been yearning to see the roof.

Yes, sounds funny...who goes to the library to check out the roof?  ME 

We arrived to temperatures just hitting the low 90's.  Living coastal I tend to forget how much the temperature changes as you move inland.  It felt so delicious on my skin....all that glorious Vitamin D.

Front Entrance

Custom Ironwork Mural
(Nice way to separate bathrooms from Central Floor of library)


Books, books and more books....

Remember what I said about the roof?  This is what makes Fallbrook Library different from the rest, the entire 3,500 sq ft roof is covered in living plants/grasses.  It was worth the drive....even with Finn in the back asking every minute "How much longer?" 
Wouldn't you love this on your home?  So much more attractive than asphalt or tile and if you get bored with it you can always change out the flats of vegetation to something else.....yarrow, ice plant, sea grass.  Not only is the roof earth friendly, low maintenance and drought tolerant....it also works as a sound buffer which is nice since this library's locations sits on a busy corner.  
My husband has been wanting to try out Cafe d' Artiste for some time, he has worked in the area before and kept meaning to try it out.  Well try it out we did and it was fabulous and conveniently located across from the library. 
 
Todd and I both started our meal with homemade Butternut Squash Soup. I moved on to the special of the day, a Chicken Buckwheat Crepe in Mushroom Sauce".  It was worth every calorie I consumed.  Todd and Finn had panini's, enjoyed but not as good as my Crepe!

Todd & Finn Cafe d' Artiste
(ever present IPAD) 

If you get the chance, check out the Fallbrook Library, it is worth the visit.  They offer a more modern approach to library services (teen lounge, live music courtyard, e-books).  This library is part of the San Diego County Library System, I was able to sign up for a library card which can be used at County Library's all over San Diego County and to think.....I only had access to Carlsbad libraries in the past! 


1 comment:

The Chavez Family said...

Sounds like a wonderful journey into the land of LIBRARY!! It is quit a neat place. Mark and I love the color of the inside cafe, pumpkin cinnamon. Love the post! We might have to join you next time! Love you guys!

Hi from Disneyland

Hi from Disneyland
Hi from Disneyland

About Me

Todd Tiffiney Finn Samson Delilah