Sunday, February 6, 2011

GHOST TOURS AND SISTERS

Both of my sisters have birthdays in January which is bittersweet, I love birthday celebrations but falling so closely after Christmas equates to a depleted bank account and a lack of energy and creativity! 

Due to schedule restraints I wasn't able to celebrate their birthdays until Friday night.  This worked out better, I wanted to do something with them that we haven't done before and my creative energy was back.  I decided we needed an evening in Old Town, San Diego  before the tourists return.
We started the evening at the New Orleans Creole Cafe, I read a few online reviews and knew this would be the perfect place to start.  We all started with the Chicken & Sausage Gumbo....OMG, it was a religious experience!  Devon and I had the Crawfish Etouffee and Kara had the Red Beans and Rice!  I recommend both, but the Crawfish Etouffee soaked up with French bread made me want to cry.  Kara and Devon plan on returning with their significant others for Valentine's Day! P.S. Try the sweet tea....as good as I had in North Carolina and Virginia.
If you are in the area, please make sure to include this in your visit.  I highly recommend placing a reservation, they fill up fast and make the entrees to order.  Worth the wait!
Devon opening her birthday presents from ME

My Beautiful Sisters
The Whaley House was right next to the restaurant.  Have you heard of the Whaley House?  It is a popular field trip destination for San Diego school children mainly in part to the ghostly history!  It was built in 1856 by Mr. Whaley and is the oldest brick structure in Southern California.  Mr. Whaley purchased the property at a reduced rate due to its previous uses as a court appointed hanging locale!

The ghost of Yankee Jim can still be heard
walking to and fro upstairs.  Scared yet, I was! 

Devon & I hugging the gas lamp post.

Me hugging Kara, I was in a hugging mood!

Devon waiting to go in...
she could barely wait!

Let the Tour Begin

The Whaley house also provided home to
San Diego's 2nd Courthouse.  

Sisters in the Whaley Dining room
I am blessed to have TWO

Mr. Whaley also opened his home to actors and provided the
backdrop to the first theatre in San Diego, if only for 2 months!(The producer died)

The Stage

After the Ghost Tour we walked the streets of Old Town, venturing into a few shops as we giggled and jabbered about our lives that we never usually have time to discuss.  It was exactly how I wanted to spend this special evening with my sisters. 

We then headed across the street to the Old Town Mexican Cafe for Margarita's and freshly made tortillas (I passed on the tortilla's, still full from Etouffee). 


  
Salude
Happy Belated Birthday Kara & Devon!

1 comment:

The Chavez Family said...

That was a blast Tiff! You did awesome on capturing the events of the evening with you camera! Of course I have to mention that the last picture of us holding a Margarita, mine was a virgin margarita (non- alcoholic). Hahahaa! :-)

Thank you for a lovely and rich evening full of fun, laughter and jokes! Can't wait for another night out!

Love you much!!

Hi from Disneyland

Hi from Disneyland
Hi from Disneyland

About Me

Todd Tiffiney Finn Samson Delilah